- How Do I...
- Apply For
- Sidewalk Reimbursement Program
Sidewalk Reimbursement Program
Last Content Update:
Every year Clarksburg offers residents and businesses in Clarksburg a reimbursement incentive to help replace damaged sidewalks in the city. The city increased the available money available in 2023 to $35,000 to allow more property owners to take advantage of the program.
Owner/Agent Curb, Sidewalk, Driveway Maintenance Responsibilities
Many people incorrectly believe that the City is responsible for the maintenance and repair of curbs and sidewalks that abut private property. It is, in fact, the responsibility of the property owner to maintain the sidewalk and curbing adjacent to their property.
As established in the Codified Ordinances of the City of Clarksburg - 913.13 DUTY OF ABUTTING PROPERTY OWNER:
The property owner or agent of any house or property within the City shall have the sole and exclusive duty to keep sidewalks, curbs or driveways [abutting their property] in good repair and in a clear and sanitary condition free from dirt and refuse.
Sidewalk & Curb Replacement Requirements
Where the existing curb height is six inches above the established street grade and the curb is undamaged, the Code Enforcement Office may allow replacement of only the sidewalk slab, leaving the existing curb in place. Where the existing sidewalk surface is six inches above the established street grade and the sidewalk is undamaged, the Code Enforcement Office may allow replacement of only the curb, leaving the existing sidewalk in place. In either case the damaged slab or curb shall be saw-cut from the curb, and the created joint between the sidewalk slab and curbing shall have 1/2 inch bituminous expansion material installed to the full depth of the sidewalk or curb.
2023 Program Dates
Application Period: 05/01/2023 - 06/02/2023
Building Permit Dates: 06/16/2023 - 08/11/2023
Must Be Completed By: 08/11/2023
Last Day to Submit for Reimbursement: 08/11/2023
General Program Guidelines
- Residential property owners will be reimbursed for 70% of the actual cost of materials & labor only to a maximum of $2,500.
- Non-residential commercial property owners or tenants will be reimbursed for 70% of the actual cost of materials & labor only to a maximum of $3,000.
- When three (3) or more adjoining or abutting property owners have their sidewalks replaced, the City will reimburse 90% of the actual cost of materials & labor only up to a maximum of $2,500. The applicant who is applying for 90% reimbursement must provide the name and address of the other abutting property owners and each must make a separate application.
- Property owners or tenant will be responsible for paying the cost of contract labor.
- Completion of both sides of a corner lot or completion of a sidewalk for multiple lots by a single owner will receive 70% of actual costs of materials and labor up to a maximum of $3,200.
- Residential, non-residential commercial property owners or tenants are only allowed one (1) sidewalk application for the current program year. Property owners or tenants may file a new application for other properties during the application period for the current program. Any residential or non-residential commercial property owners or tenants own or control two adjacent or abutting lots or parcels of land within the City, such person shall be permitted to submit an application for all such abutting or adjacent properties.
(Resolution No. 11-R7 Passed by the Council of the City of Clarksburg, March 17, 2011)